*Name has been changed to protect the insensitive.
Dear John, Friend from Grad School:
I got your mass email yesterday announcing your new email and wanted to let you know that you are flirting dangerously with being on my Shit List. In case you have forgotten, I will outline your previous sins that have gotten you to this point:
1) You emailed me that your harpie wife was expecting on the exact day that I found out that my baby had died and I had been carrying a dead fetus around for a week. I responded with my congratulations and didn’t mention any of my incredible sadness. You never responded.
2) You included me on the mass email with pictures of the new baby when the harpie wife delivered and again, I said the right things and congratulated you. You never responded.
3) You emailed me again to tell me of the new baby and sent more pictures because you couldn’t remember if you had emailed me before. I guess you didn’t remember that I congratulated you before. This time you deigned to ask how we were doing.
4) I responded again with congratulations (because that’s what friends do) and agreed that your baby was the cutest thing on the planet. I also told you of our struggle with infertility and the miscarriage in April. You Never. Wrote. Back. Not one lousy word. A simple “I’m sorry” would have sufficed to let me know that you are at least interested after asking how we were.
5) Now you have sent me a new email address assuming that I want to keep in touch with you. I have no reason to keep in touch. You have obviously just left this one hanging and it will take a lot of groveling for you to get back into my good graces.
So, that’s where we stand. Assuming you don’t send any more emails blithley ignorning what I shared with you, you will not be banished to having your email blocked. One more “I have the cutest baby on the block” email without any acknowledgment that we had a loss and you will officially be out of my life.
ps- the addition of the information in the email that you are changing emails so that it will sync with your Blackberry landed you squarely in the tool column. Just thought you should know that.