First, thank you so much to everyone for your lovely wishes of good luck on my delivery.  It was so wonderful to read all of your messages!

We arrived promptly at 5am on St. Patrick’s Day, with no expectations of what was about to happen. You can read as much as you want in a book, but the experience is uniquely personal.

I was  hooked up to the pitocin drip by about 6am (after a really nasty round with the IV insertion) and didn’t really get much in the way of contractions. My OB arrived at 9am to break my water and jokingly said that she was going to wipe the smile off my face.  She was so not kidding. Having my water broken was easily more painful than anything I dealt with in all of my infertility treatments.  I was coming off the bed in pain.  The pain then triggered a nice crying fit.

Once she managed to nicely wipe the smile off my face, my contractions came on very strong and very fast which really surprised me.  I was in constant pain it seemed. They kept asking me if I wanted my epidural (which I ordered ahead of time – I knew I would want one and once I did, I would not want to wait) and I said no.  I wanted to get a good idea of how I could handle them.  After an hour, I knew I was done and wanted my epidural.  I decided that I had experienced enough to know what they felt like but I didn’t need any more.  Once I had the epidural, though, all was right with the world.

It also managed to speed up my progress – in one hour, I went from 2cm to 9cm.  I thought my nurse was crazy when she told me.  I quickly progressed to the full 10 cm, but unfortunately, Little B was still up pretty high (-1 station).  After being at 10cm for about 2 hours, my OB called and instructed that they had me start to push.  I pushed for an hour and didn’t make any progress.  So, they let me rest for an hour and then we started up again – only, this time, I was put in every conceivable position to push to get him down – truly, the Kama Sutra of Birthing Positions.  After about an hour and a half I managed to get him down and thank goodness for that – I was very close to a c-section.  All of a sudden, there was just a flurry of activity – my OB was getting suited up, Mr. X was holding up my right leg and I was fitted with an oxygen mask to help me get air to Little B while I pushed.

And, Little B was born at 5:59pm! All of a sudden, there was a little alien on my chest looking right at me with beautiful blue eyes and a rather dazed look.  We all wiped him down and I was just overwhelmed.  Mr. X cut the cord and Little B was whisked away to the warmer to be weighed and cleaned.

I, on the other hand, was attacked with a needle and thread by my OB – I managed to get a 2nd degree vaginal tear pushing him out.  They had to give me a boost on my epidural because it hurt so much while she was stitching me up.

So, our little boy arrived in the world in the usual way and is slowly working his way into our hearts.

34 thoughts on “Delivered

  1. Congratulations little family! You three have such an amazing journey ahead of you.
    I am so looking forward to following your story in the months ahead.

  2. Congratulations! And welcome, little B!
    I hope you are all well and that you are all getting used to your new life. 😉

  3. Congratulations! What a precious miracle, and I’m so thrilled that you finally have your baby!! Thinking of you!

  4. Congratulations! Welcome to the world, Little B!

    Sorry to hear about the 2nd degree tear. I hope that all is healing well, and you’re feeling fine by now.

    Good luck in the sleepless days and nights ahead!

  5. Oh Mrs. X, I am so excited for you. (Farmwife’s cousin here) I hope you enjoy cuddling your little one in these coming days. Go easy on yourself as you recover. I had two tears (a 4th on the perineum and a 2nd up inside from forceps), and found a physiotherapist who specializes in urogenital therapy extremely helpful in helping my body not be anxious about being touched again – both by doctors and by my own gentle husband. She helps separate my nerves from the scar tissue, and has simply done wonders in helping re-strengthen my pelvic floor muscle. My own doctor didn’t know about that kind of therapy and was willing to let me live as if I were a nun and a child needing to be potty trained for the rest of my life, so that’s why I’m sharing. Doctors aren’t always aware of what physical therapy can do. Obviously, I HOPE and WISH that you will NOT have those issues. But I wanted to share just in case, so that you would not spend one moment worrying about how you would heal. It takes time, but healing DOES happen. I promise!

    I am just so excited for you! I’m sure you’ll be spending lots of days with your nose buried in that soft baby skin and kissing those tiny little cheeks and toes. Blessings overflowing to you!

  6. Congratulations. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I know I change my mind every five minutes about baby pictures, but maybe you could favor us with just one? You know, or however many you’re inclined to.

  7. I’ve been following you for a while now and I’m so glad that your little guy is safely in your arms. Congratulations and enjoy.

  8. Hooray! Congratulations Mr and Mrs X on Little B’s safe arrival!

    Take these next weeks to truly snuggle, cuddle, rest and relax as much as you possibly can!

    I am so excited for you as you adjust to being a family with a little guy to love and cherish!

  9. I have been reading your blog for a long time and am soooo happy for you! I know how it feels to finally get your baby after infertility and IVF and I am so glad that you get to experiance motherhood. It will feel surreal for a long time, at leaste it did for me. Enjoy your little one!

  10. Aren’t those eyes eerie and amazing?

    Argh! My heart ached when I read the bit about the pitocin pain… a huge hug to Mrs. X!

    Here’s to a speedy recovery and a wonderful start to a whole new life.

  11. Sorry for the belated Congrats! FABULOUS!!! So happy to hear the good news! I am also debating about to blog or not to blog now that parenting has taken over my life. It’s a hard call but I think continuing to write is an important thing so find a way to continue journaling publicly or on your own. Good luck to you and get rest when you can!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s